Tennessee basketball announces SEC schedule, including Kentucky matchups
Tennessee basketball opens its SEC schedule on the road against Alabama, the reigning conference champions.
UT announced its full SEC slate Thursday, including a pair Kentucky games a month apart. The Vols play at Kentucky on Jan. 15 and host the Wildcats on Feb. 15. UT coach Rick Barnes is 8-5 against Kentucky and the Vols have won three of four at Rupp Arena.
Tennessee plays four of its first six games on the road. It has a pair of three-game home SEC stretches, including the final three games. The Vols will play five of their final seven regular-season games at Thompson-Boling Arena.
UT's other three-game home stretch will be interrupted by its SEC/Big 12 Challenge game at Texas on Jan. 29.
Here is the full SEC schedule with game times and television assignments to be announced at a later date.
- Wednesday, Dec. 29 — at Alabama
- Wednesday, Jan. 5 — Ole Miss
- Saturday, Jan. 8 — at LSU
- Tuesday, Jan. 11 — South Carolina
- Saturday, Jan. 15 — at Kentucky
- Tuesday, Jan. 18 — at Vanderbilt
- Saturday, Jan. 22 — LSU
- Wednesday, Jan. 26 — Florida
- Tuesday, Feb. 1 — Texas A&M
- Saturday, Feb. 5 — at South Carolina
- Wednesday, Feb. 9 — at Mississippi State
- Saturday, Feb. 12 — Vanderbilt
- Tuesday, Feb. 15 — Kentucky
- Saturday, Feb. 19 — at Arkansas
- Tuesday, Feb. 22 — at Missouri
- Saturday, Feb. 26 — Auburn
- Tuesday, March 1 — Georgia
- Saturday, March 5 — Arkansas
The SEC Tournament is scheduled to take place from March 9-13 in Tampa, Florida.
Tennessee was 10-7 in SEC play in 2020-21, finishing behind Alabama, Arkansas and LSU. The Vols were 18-9 overall, but lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to Oregon State.
The Vols host Arizona at Thompson-Boling Arena on Dec. 22 to highlight the home portion of the nonconference schedule.
UT faces Texas Tech in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Dec. 7.
Tennessee is scheduled to face Memphis in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 18, 2021. The Vols play at Colorado on Dec. 4.
The Vols are one of four teams participating in the Hall of Fame Tip-Off at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Connecticut. UT will face Villanova on Nov. 20 and either North Carolina or Purdue on Nov. 21.
Tennessee opens its season again UT Martin on Nov. 9. The Vols will host ETSU on Nov. 14, Tennessee Tech on Nov. 26, Presbyterian on Nov. 30, UNC Greensboro on Dec. 11, and USC Upstate on Dec. 14.
Mike Wilson covers University of Tennessee athletics. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ByMikeWilson. If you enjoy Mike’s coverage, consider a digital subscription that will allow you access to all of it.