Cleveland Guardians at Minnesota Twins odds, picks and predictions
The Cleveland Guardians (15-15) head to Target Field Friday to start a 3-game series with the Minnesota Twins (18-14) at 8:10 p.m. ET. Let's analyze Tipico Sportsbook's lines around the Guardians vs. Twinsodds with MLB picks and predictions.
Minnesota is 5-5 in the last 10 games and was just swept in a 3-game set by the Houston Astros, getting outscored 21-3 in the process.
Cleveland is 7-3 in the last 10 and had its 3-game winning streak snapped Tuesday in a 5-0 loss to the Houston Astros.
The Twins beat the Guardians in last year's season series 11-8 and outscored Cleveland 91-75 in those meetings.
Guardians at Twins projected starters
RHP Aaron Civale vs. RHP Sonny Gray
Civale 1-2 with a 9.45 ERA, 1.70 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9 and 9.9 K/9 in 20 IP over 5 starts.
- Won 6-5 vs. the Toronto Blue Jays May 5 with 5 2/3 IP, 4 ER, 6 H, 1 HR, 0 BB and 8 K.
- 2021 vs. the Twins: 1-1 with a 3.65 ERA (12 1/3 IP, 5 ER), 11 H, 1 BB and 10 K in 2 starts.
- vs. Twins on the current roster: 2.73 FIP with a .212/.253/.300 expected batting average (xBA), wOBA (xwOBA) and slugging percentage (xSLG) slash line, 25.0 K% and 84.0 mph exit velocity (EV) in 64 plate appearances (PA).
Gray is 0-1 with a 3.48 ERA (10 1/3 IP, 4 ER), 7 H, 2 HR, 5 BB and 12 K in 3 starts.
- No decision in Minnesota's 1-0 win Saturday over the Oakland Athletics with 4-scoreless IP, 2 H, 2 BB and 7 K.
- 2021 vs. the Guardians: No decision in his lone start, a 3-2 loss in mid-April while pitching for the Cincinnati Reds with 4 1/3 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 HR, 2 BB and 6 K.
- vs. Guardians on the current roster: 2.89 FIP with a .244/.271/.371 xBA-xwOBA-xSLG slash line, 27.0 K% and 85.7 mph EV in 63 PA.
Guardians at Twins odds and lines
Odds provided by Tipico Sportsbook; access USA TODAY Sports Scores and Sports Betting Odds hub for a full list. Lines last updated at 12:19 p.m. ET.
- Money line (ML) : Guardians +133 (bet $100 to win $133) | Twins -165 (bet $165 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS) : Guardians +1.5 (-155) | Twins -1.5 (+125)
- Over/Under (O/U) : 7.5 (O: -130 | U: +105)
Exclusive USA TODAY Network offer: Deposit $10 or more, get $200 in instant bet credits at Tipico Sportsbook! New customer offer in CO and NJ. 21+, see Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. Place your legal, online sports bets at Tipico. Let's make this interesting.Bet now!
Guardians at Twins picks and predictions
Guardians 5, Twins 3
BET the GUARDIANS (+133) because this pitching matchup is even but Cleveland's lineup hits well vs. right-handed pitching and on the road.
The Guardians' hitters are 3rd in wRC+ (123) and 4th in wOBA (.331) on the road (per FanGraphs). Cleveland's lineup is 2nd in both wRC+ (128) and wOBA (.339) against righties. Whereas Minnesota's lineup is 16th in wRC+ (101) and 20th in wOBA (.301).
Also, there's a line freeze in the betting market since more than 85% of the action is on the Twins to win (per Pregame.com) but Minnesota's ML hasn't budged off the opener. This tells us the sportsbooks are welcoming more pro-Twins money and we don't want to play into the House's hand.
TAKE the GUARDIANS (+133).
Win your fantasy baseball league with BaseballHQ.com. For decades, BHQ has been helping players just like you win! Use the couple code SBW22 for 20% OFF full-season subscription. New customer offer; expires 6/30/2022. Subscribe today and start winning!
PASS because the Guardians +1.5 (-155) is way too expensive considering Cleveland is 6-7 RL as road underdogs.
For the record, the Twins -1.5 (+125) are just 5-7 RL as home favorites but I'd need Cleveland's RL to be south of -135 to take a stab.
Slight LEAN to the UNDER 7.5 (+105) because the Under has cashed in 5 of the last 7 Guardians-Twins games. But, Cleveland's ML is my favorite bet in this game hence the lean.
Gannett may earn revenue from Tipico for audience referrals to betting services. Tipico has no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. See Tipico.com for Terms and Conditions. 21+ only. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA).